Whew! Somehow, it’s December — many of you are probably wondering how the time went by so quickly and what you achieved in the past year. It’s easy to look ahead towards the holidays and start thinking about the new year, but not. so. quick!
Before you dive into 2023, let’s take a big breath and reflect on yet another crazy year of our lives. The following exercise is what I am going to be doing when I go on winter break next week. I thought I’d share it with anyone else who wanted to pause and reflect.
Step 1: Open up a blank page in your virtual or physical notebook
Take a second and just look at it. Take in the nothingness.
Step 2: Hit play on your favourite playlist
Feel free to listen to my Instrumental Playlist below 🎶 or find something calm that can get you in the zone.
Step 3: Open up your calendar app or agenda
Flip to the very beginning — January 2022.
Step 4: Scan through the month and list 1-3 milestones or major events for each month
If you are using a calendar app, toggle your view to see the entire month. This makes it easier for you to see everything at once and pick out the most important parts of each month.
Step 5: Take a look at any New Years Resolutions or goals
Remember the new year’s resolutions that you had set out on January 1st of this year? Yeah, me neither! Whether you’ve been manifesting them every day of this year or totally forgot about them — it’s okay… you’re human. Take a few minutes to reflect on:
- Who helped you reach your goals
- What helped or didn’t help you reach your goals
- When you stopped caring about these goals or shifted priorities
- Where you achieved any of your goals (and how)
- Why you set these goals and whether these goals still resonate with you
- How you are feeling (just let it all out)
Step 6: Congratulate yourself on making it through 2022
For those of you who have watched the Suite Life of Zack & Cody, it’s time to cue the London Tipton “YAY ME” moment! Regardless of whether you hit 0 or 10 of your goals, you still got through it… Priorities change and that’s okay. We get lazy and that’s okay. We can always try a little harder tomorrow.
Step 7: Highlight which goals and habits you want to carry forward into 2023
Figure out what you want to bring with you into the new year and bold these so that they’re easy to find later on (when it’s time to start planning).
Step 8: Go celebrate the holidays and share what you’ve accomplished
You’ll have a lot to talk about now that you’ve completed this reflection exercise! Share them with your friends and family at your next holiday gathering, and swap best practices and encouragement.
Psst… stay tuned for a future blog post on how to plan for the new year 😉
Thanks for reading my career blog!
Please show your support by subscribing to my free newsletter or sharing with a friend or family member. Here are more resources to help you in your life and career:
- 20+ Self Reflection Questions to Figure Out Your Career
- Career vs. Professional Development: What’s the Difference?
- 32 Learnings from 32 Years at Microsoft with Adrienne Hall
- How to Manage Critical Changes in Your Career
- Hybrid Work-Life: 6 Ways to Improve Your Health, Time and Energy When You WFH
- If You’re Not Making Time, You’re Making Excuses