Thank you Amit for being open to sharing this with the world. Please feel free to like, comment, and share with your friends, family, and peers. Learn more about the Monday Morning Motivational Minute here.
Meet Jim Thorpe
Jim Thorpe grew up with adversity. As a Native American in the early 1900’s, he faced racial prejudice and a difficult upbringing. His twin brother died at age 9. His mother and then father died just a few years later. He became an orphan.
So when somebody stole his shoes…
So when somebody stole his shoes right before he was set to compete in the Olympics, it was probably no big deal to Jim. He simply put on two other shoes that someone had tossed in a trash can. They were different sizes, though, so he had to wear extra socks on one foot to even them out.
He went on to win 2 Gold medals, but that only touches the surface of what he did in those games. He won gold in the (now defunct) pentathlon, winning four of the 5 events (long jump, discus throw, sprint, and wrestling). The one event he didn’t win was the javelin. He’s never competed in that event for the Olympics. He finished third in the world.
He’d actually tried to throw the javelin once before, in the Olympic trials. At the time, he didn’t know that he could throw it with a running start. He threw it standing still, and placed 2nd.
Back at the Olympics, he also took part in the grueling decathlon. To give you an idea of how great of an athlete he was, Thorpe finished first in four events (shot put, high jump, 110 meter hurdles, and 1,500 meters.) He finished 3rd in four other events and 4th in two more.
- This is a perfect reminder that we don’t have to resign to the excuses that have held us back.
- So what if life hasn’t been fair?
- What are you going to do about it today?
- Whatever you woke up with this morning; stolen shoes, ill health, failed relationships, don’t let it stop you from running your race.
- You can experience more in life if you’ll get over the excuses and get on with living.
- You can have reasons or you can have results and you can’t have both.
- #lovethis #gotta #share #mindset