Perhaps I’ve been watching a few too many motivational TikTok videos and blog articles. However, I feel compelled to write about the importance of showing up… at work, with your friends and family, and in life.
How you show up affects how people perceive you (their impressions of you). Creating positive impressions will build up your positive reputation. Possessing a positive reputation builds up your personal brand. And, a great personal brand will open up doors to more opportunities.
Speaking from experience, it is hard to show up for everything in every aspect of your life. You may show up really well at work, but less so with your friends and family (or vice versa).
What “Showing Up” Means
I see it as adding value to your teammates and stakeholders. For example, pitching new ideas, sharing feedback, and improving processes.
When you’re participating in meetings:
- Listen carefully to other perspectives
- Synthesize the information with your own thoughts and context
- Speak up and share insights
FOR YOUR FAMILY & FRIENDS…
I see it as making time for them in different ways. For example, finding time to catch up, creating and sharing emotional moments together, and being there to listen if they need someone:
- Listen, sympathize, and empathize
- Share thoughts and perspectives (when appropriate)
- Provide support and encouragement
IN LIFE (FOR YOURSELF)…
I see it as caring for yourself. For example, working out to strengthen your body, making an effort to eat healthy, and being considerate of your mental health and wellbeing:
- Practice self-care and self-compassion
- Understand that it is okay not to be okay, and ask for help if you need it
- Work on your mental health as much as your physical health
Quote of the Day
The world is run by those who show up.robert johnson
Thanks for following my #100DayChallenge series… The goal is to blog everyday for 100 days in a row. Through this series, I hope to share more about my personal life to complement the career content that I usually create.